IRTrans software installation on Windows 7

Software related support

Moderator: marcus

Re: IRTrans software installation on Windows 7

Postby IRTrans » Thu 29. Apr 2010, 12:00

Hmm, difficult to say. I suppose it is a configuration problem.

Anyways, using one device to learn all IR codes is fine.

In general homeseer accesses the devices via the irserver. That means the irserver has to be running.
Furthermore the irserver has to know both IRTrans devices. (Diagnostics of the IR icon). To make sure they are always found in the same order the
startup call of the irserver should be modified to ".... irtranstray.exe 10.0.1.197;10.0.1.198". Then the device with .197 will be bus/ID 0 and the device
with .198 bus/ID 1. Within Homeseer you do not access the devices directly with their IP. Instead you access the irserver (via localhost if it is running
on the same PC). Then you can use two zones to access both devices. That should also be described in the HS plugin instructions. I cannot help you a lot
with HS as we did not make the plugin and we do not have HS running here.

In general it would not be needed to flash the IR command files for HS. Furthermore editing of the .rem files is only needed very seldom and is a very
complicated procedure.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby marc.assin » Thu 29. Apr 2010, 16:02

IRTrans wrote:I suppose it is a configuration problem.

Most probably, yes.

IRTrans wrote: In general homeseer accesses the devices via the irserver. That means the irserver has to be running.

I guess you mean the Gira HomeServer ?
I see
service: IRTRans service (stopped)
process: IRServer.exe and IRTRanstray.exe

IRTrans wrote:the irserver has to know both IRTrans devices. (Diagnostics of the IR icon)..

The Diagnostics are running fine, I can see both devices, they look identical.

IRTrans wrote: the startup call of the irserver should be modified to ".... irtranstray.exe 10.0.1.197;10.0.1.198".

I was using this "C:\Program Files\IRTrans\irtranstray.exe" lan
Now "C:\Program Files\IRTrans\irtranstray.exe" 10.0.1.197;10.0.1.198 (hoping it is correct)

There is one thing that puzzles me. When I use the IRTranstray, Send Command tool, I get a window to select among the configured devices, this works fine for the 2 devices in room LT, but nowhere I get prompted to use IP 10.0.1.198 which is in the other room (projector).
So my question is: how can I test IRTRans 10.0.1.198 ?

IRTrans wrote:Within Homeseer you do not access the devices directly with their IP.

I'm using the Gira HomeServer. There is a menu where the IP address has to be filled in. This works fine

IRTrans wrote: I cannot help you a lot with HS as we did not make the plugin .

No problem, I take care of that. Anyway, it's not really a plug-in, it's just a HomeServer configuration menu and it works fine.

Now I have a more serious issue. The IRTrans 10.0.1.197 was running fine till now. I see the blue LED going On and Off after a couple of seconds, The status LED shows activity, the LAN status LEDs are Off.
This happened after saving a config from the management page. I thought it might be a mistake on my side, I jumpered the pins
as explained in the doc. No luck, seems to be dead.
How can I test this device ?

Thank you
marc.assin

Postby IRTrans » Thu 29. Apr 2010, 19:02

Sorry, I got that wrong. If you are using the Gira Homeserver things are a bit different.

You can download a comprehensive manual for the Gira Homserver integration from our website. It explains everything incl. uploading the IR codes.
Unfortunately it is only available in German, however it contains lots of pictures.
The Gira Homeserver will access the device directly using its IP. The irserver does not need to be running for the Gira Homeserver.

To test sending please use the GUI client. It has got a "Send" Dialog that contains a selection of the "Bus" parameter. The bus chooses the device.
0 = first IP in the list, 1 = 2nd. This does only apply to the testing - when using the Homeserver you will access the devices with their IP address
as described in the Homeserver instructions.

Regarding your device: If the blue LED goes of and on there is a problem with the power supplied by your PoE switch. That might be a port or cable problem.
The internal configuration of the device will not affect the power supplied, therefore it does not have to do with the configuration.
It might also be a hardware problem, however with several thousand PoE devices we have not seen that yet. Please check port and cabeling.
Of course you can send us the device to check it if you cannot fix that problem.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby marc.assin » Thu 29. Apr 2010, 19:37

IRTrans wrote:To test sending please use the GUI client. It has got a "Send" Dialog that contains a selection of the "Bus" parameter. The bus chooses the device.

OK, fine

IRTrans wrote: Regarding your device: If the blue LED goes of and on there is a problem with the power supplied by your PoE switch. That might be a port or cable problem.

Don't think so !
The first thing I did, was to put the other IRTrans device on the same cable (hence same port) and the device has the blue LED stady On. No problem ! Sooo....

IRTrans wrote: The internal configuration of the device will not affect the power supplied, therefore it does not have to do with the configuration.

OK, fine, then it was just a coincidence.

IRTrans wrote:It might also be a hardware problem, however with several thousand PoE devices we have not seen that yet.

You are quite assertive and convincing. About ma previous request for help and the "time-out", it turned out that the "COD" label was on the wrong device.

IRTrans wrote:Of course you can send us the device to check it if you cannot fix that problem

That's the last thing I want to do, because the failing device is the "learning" device. That stops my project.
Please help me diagonse the problem more acurately.
The procedure in the doc is not very clear, I put a jumper on pin 1 & 2 close to the status LED, for some seconds and I removed it. The doc doesn't tell me, but I guess that's standard practice for resetting a CMOS. Correct ?

Thank you
marc.assin

Postby IRTrans » Thu 29. Apr 2010, 19:59

Hi,
well, I really want to help you straighforward. Therefore I can assure you that the Blue LED will not be affected by the device in any way. It is powered directly by the internal power supply there is no software involved. In fact it will even light up if there is no firmware in the IRTrans device at all. If the Blue LED goes off there is no power. Trying to reset the firmware will not help you and is just a waste of time. That is all I can tell you about that.
Please try to use the device on another port to see what causes that problem. If the problem does not go away it is a hardware problem.

Anyways, we do have a short instruction how to reset a PoE device here in the forum. I will look it up and send you the link shortly.

Regarding the Learning device: I do not think the COD-RCV label is on the wrong device - I rather think the COD-RCV device is somehow misconfigured. All our devices can learn standard IR codes - the COD-RCV is needed for IR codes with special frequencies. If you can post a screenshot of the iR receiver configuration of the GUI client we can figure that out.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby IRTrans » Thu 29. Apr 2010, 20:20

Hi,
here is the thread describing in detail how to reset a PoE device:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=133

And here you find a comprehensive description of the different IR receivers:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=193

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby marc.assin » Fri 30. Apr 2010, 16:49

IRTrans wrote: I can assure you that the Blue LED will not be affected by the device in any way. It is powered directly by the internal power supply there is no software involved.

Summary of my findings

device 10.0.1.197 (used as learning device)
-----------------
Blue LED goes On for 10 sec, Status LED shows activity, no LAN LED are On
changed, the Ethernet cable
changed, the switch port (Cisco Catalyst 3550)
put the device on a known good cable and port, no go
put the device on an external power supply 5V, Blue LED stays On, network activity LED blink, seems to work OK

On the Web page setup, DO NOT select "code learning", MUST BE 38KHz (bizarre)

device 10.0.1.198 (labelled as learning device)
-----------------
On the Web page setup, DO NOT select "code learning", MUST BE 38KHz

So far, I can control all 3 devices by using the GUI send command
But from within the HS, nothing works anymore, although it was working before. I guess I've changed something, but don't know what (but that's no more a IRTrans problem)
Are there any reserved words ? forbidden syntax ? I'm using much "-" in the doc I see "_" I guess that is irrelevant.
I understand that the syntax used in the HS send command must be the same as the one used in the IRTrans send command. That's the way I've done it before.

Thank you
marc.assin

Postby IRTrans » Fri 30. Apr 2010, 19:16

Hi,
that looks like a hardware problem with the PoE supply board of the IRTrans.

If you like to we can send you an exchange PoE board - you can easily change it yourself (it is plugged on the main board) and then send back the non-working PCB.

Regarding the learning receiver: As I explained all devices can learn. In general it is important that the correct receiver is selected. If the setting does not reflect the hardware no learning or receiving will be possible.
Does the device lern IR codes with the 38kHz setting ? Then this device does not have a learning receiver.
Could you post a picture of the front of the device - then we can be shure what you have.

Regarding the Homeserver:

Most special chars are not crititcal. You should avoid ,; and spaces. "-" or "_" are no problem. Furthermore local chars like "äöü" should be avoided as they might be different on different platforms. The syntax itself is rather simple. It is the same as used for sending with UDP ASCII Strings. (snd <remote>,<command>).

Common mistakes are:
- IR Codes not uploaded
- Remote not selected when uploading
- Wrong IP address or wrong port

A good tool to find such problems is "Packetyzer". Of course you will need a managed switch to monitor other ports.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby marc.assin » Sat 1. May 2010, 08:16

Hi,
IRTrans wrote:In general it is important that the correct receiver is selected. If the setting does not reflect the hardware no learning or receiving will be possible.

OK. That might be the final clue, and the cause of all my misery.

IRTrans wrote:Does the device lern IR codes with the 38kHz setting ?

YES !
IRTrans wrote:Then this device does not have a learning receiver.

Indeed, it does not have the "COD" label.

IRTrans wrote:Could you post a picture of the front of the device

I thought they were identical, but now you triggered my curiosity, indeed, the device (198) labelled "COD" has a different LED on the right (rounded square instead of round). So you were right since day 1.
Can you please tell me exactly which device should get which setting ?
The settings in use by now are the only ones I've got to work, so I might have another problem.

But ... all this being said and knowing that my settings are incorrect, I still fail to understand one thing.
It is working with the GUI send command and NOT with the HomeServer.
Does the "GUI send" use another send method ? more powerfull ?
When triggering an action from the HS, I see the LED activity on the IRTRans but the end device doesn't react. It is as if the IR message is not understood, although it should be the very same message.

IRTrans wrote:Common mistakes are:
- IR Codes not uploaded
- Remote not selected when uploading
- Wrong IP address or wrong port

Can you elaborate a bit please ? or point me to the right section of the manual

Thank you.
marc.assin

Postby IRTrans » Sat 1. May 2010, 11:41

OK, things get a bit clearer now.

You do have the correct IRTrans devices. One has a learning receiver (the one with the COD-RCV label) and one a standard 38kHz one.
The receiver settings are as follows:
- Standard Receiver: 38kHz (as you have)
- Learning receiver (COD-RCV): Universal Learning Receiver

With these settings both devices should receive and learn IR codes. Please note that the COD-RCV device will only have a range of 0,3m.

When the GUI Client sends an IR code it uses the code database on the PC. The Homeserver does talk directly to the IRTrans device.

Therefore the IR codes need to be uploaded to the Flash memory of the IRTrans device. That is done using the GUI Client Dialog "Device Database". Here you have a list of all remote controls:
- Right click on the ones you need and select "Auswählen" (this menu will be translated correctly in the next version of the SW).
- Repeat that for all remote controls you need.
- Select one of your devices in the combo box in the bottom of the dialog
- Click on "Flash"
- Repeat that for your 2nd device

Now the codes are uploaded to the IRTrans device and can be sent by the Homeserver.

Here you find the (German) doc by Dacom: http://www.dacom-homeautomation.de/cont ... rans02.pdf

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Software