IRTrans software installation on Windows 7

Software related support

Moderator: marcus

IRTrans software installation on Windows 7

Postby marc.assin » Tue 20. Apr 2010, 15:02

Hi,

I'm installing IRtrans on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.
The installation went fine, although I do agree with the comments made here about the doc.
I've 2 IRTRans PoE IRDB devices. So far, I've been able to scan for the devices and assign a fixed IP address.
That's all I can do.
Now I realize the service "IRTrans Service" is not running (although I thought it had been configured to start automatically)
When I manually try to start the service, I get an error message "operation aborted Access denied" although I'm admin

Any hint, please ?

PS:
The log file says (translated from french)
"The service has been configured to be interactive but no interaction is allowed"
I remember to have seen this before on XP but don't remember the clue
marc.assin

Re: IRTrans software installation on Windows 7

Postby IRTrans » Tue 20. Apr 2010, 15:14

Hi,
in general you should not use the service for your first tests (as written in the installer dialog).
Instead simply start the irserver / irtranstray via the start menu entry.

As written in the manual Auto discovery of the IRTrans devices does not work on all systems. Sometimes a firewall or internet security
programm blocks the needed ports. Instead you can edit the start menu entry and replace the scan parameter "lan" with the IPs of your devices, e.g. "192.168.0.50;192.168.0.51". Then you should be able to start the irserver. If not please check your firewall settings.

Once it is running you can use the GUI client to learn commands, make device settings and send your commands.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby marc.assin » Tue 20. Apr 2010, 15:50

IRTrans wrote:As written in the manual

I've read the manual 3 times
IRTrans wrote: simply start the irserver / irtranstray via the start menu entry.

I've no irserver in the start menu
I've a irtranstray LAN in the start menu. When I click on it, nothing visible happens, no error message.

IRTrans wrote: Instead you can edit the start menu entry and replace the scan parameter "lan" with the IPs of your devices, e.g. "192.168.0.50;192.168.0.51".

I've tried "C:\Program Files\IRTrans\irtranstray.exe" 10.0.1.197
No error, nothing happens

IRTrans wrote: If not please check your firewall settings.

I've disabled the firewall

When looking in TaskMgr, I see a process IRserver and IRTranstray
Is this normal ? Should I kill them and restart ? from where ?
marc.assin

Postby IRTrans » Tue 20. Apr 2010, 17:16

Hi,
after starting the irserver/irtranstray via the start menu you will see a small "IR" icon in the toolbar. On Windows 7 it might get hidden by the OS. You can right-click on the IR icon and open the diagnostics dialog. There you will see your IRTrans devices.

Anyways, if the 2 processes are running everything should be fine.

Now you can start the GUI Client to continue.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby marc.assin » Wed 21. Apr 2010, 16:34

IRTrans wrote:after starting the irserver/irtranstray via the start menu you will see a small "IR" icon in the toolbar.

This doesn't work on my system. Maybe the setting "start service at boot" was a bad idea. There must be something bizarre, but when I open the TaskMgr, kill the process, click the irtranstray again, then it works. I see the small icon in the tray.

IRTrans wrote: if the 2 processes are running everything should be fine.

I'm trying to use the IRtranstray and the "detected IR codes". Nothing happens, although I'm shooting right into the receiver marked COD-RCV

What am I doing wrong ?
marc.assin

Postby marc.assin » Wed 21. Apr 2010, 17:22

marc.assin wrote:I'm trying to use the IRtranstray and the "detected IR codes". Nothing happens, although I'm shooting right into the receiver marked COD-RCV

Just by accident, I was shooting at the device NOT marked as COD-RCV and I see some data on my screen
Code: Select all
19:19:37 : S01011110101000011111100000000111320
19:19:38 : S01011110101000010101100010100111320

How can I check that the device labelled COD-RCV is really a COD-RCV ? some firmware look up ?
marc.assin

Postby IRTrans » Wed 21. Apr 2010, 17:35

Hi,
I am quite sure the device has got the learning receiver.

Please note that the Learning receiver only has a range of around 0,3m.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby marc.assin » Wed 21. Apr 2010, 18:08

IRTrans wrote:I am quite sure the device has got the learning receiver.

OK. Nevertheless, I'm still puzzeled by the fact that the device not labelled COD does trigger some data and the device labelled COD doesn't show any activity.

IRTrans wrote: Please note that the Learning receiver only has a range of around 0,3m.

Do you really mean 30cm ?!? I was shooting at 2m !!!
marc.assin

Postby IRTrans » Wed 21. Apr 2010, 18:17

Yes, I mean 30cm. If you are 2m away it will surely not react.

The universal learning receiver can learn / measure IR Codes with all frequencies. If it would have a longer range it would be too sensible for IR noise.
That is the reason that it is called "Learning receiver". Please note that the range is mentioned in the description on our website.

If you need a longer range we can, of course, exchange the IRTrans device for one with the standard receiver.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby marc.assin » Thu 29. Apr 2010, 09:41

IRTrans wrote:The universal learning receiver can learn / measure IR Codes with all frequencies.

I've had problems with the learning process, always "time-out".
I've exchanged the IRTrans devices, now I'm using the device not labelled COD-RCV for learning.
The learning process is working fine now. I've learned the codes for an a Yamaha amplifier and a Sony DVD
From within the HomeServer I can trigger commands on those 2 devices which are in the same room, LT
I'm unable to trigger any action on a BenQ projector which is in the other room, HC
I've only ONE learning device, so I've learned the codes for all 3 devices from the same IRTrans device.

I don't understand the file management and the relation to the devices.
So I have:
1x learning device 10.0.1.197, in room LT, with amplifier Yamaha and DVD Sony
1x standard device 10.0.1.198, in room HC, with a projector BenQ
As I have only one learning device, I learned the codes for the ampli and projector from the same place (I guess nothing wrong with that).
With the HomeServer, I can control the amplifier, just fine. The control of the projector doesn't work (probably a mistake on my side, like wrong IP).

When I start the IRTrans GUI Client, Mode, Device Database, I see the 3 devices: Yamaha, BenQ, Sony, but how can I see and edit the content of the files ? there is probably an error in the BenQ file due to the fact that it has been learned from the other side of the wall.

Although I've read the doc 36 times, I don't remeber where to specify which IP address should do what (it is important in my case because the devices are in different rooms).

In the GUI Client, it is possible to save a file, but there are also other files (Yamaha, BenQ etc) which is doing what ?
The doc says that is is possible to edit the files, great ! but a little more help wouldn't hurt.
Also, I haven't flashed anything yet, I'll wait until I've cleared the mess I guess that's no problem either ?

Thank you for any hint
marc.assin

Next

Return to Software