Remote Number keys not working in Vista MediaCenter (FRENCH)

The IRTrans FAQ list

Moderator: marcus

Remote Number keys not working in Vista MediaCenter (FRENCH)

Postby Ricibob » Tue 2. Dec 2008, 18:19

Hi,

I have a Origen S14V with a VF210 vfd/ir module running Vista. I have tried this with both setup.exe installs from 28.07.2008 (file version 5.11.10.0) and from 11.09.2008 (file version 5.12.8.1). Everything works fine for the remote control in Vista MediaCenter (eg green button, play, stop etc) EXCEPT the number/digit buttons which do not work and have strange mappings.

To clarify:
Using the IRTranstray "Detected IR Commands" I can see that the MC remote control is correctly sending "mediacenter 1" when the '1' key on the remote is pressed etc..
However there is a problem at the mapping level. If I launch MediaCenter and go to live TV the remote works fine except for the number buttons. If I naviate to some MediaCenter page that requires text input I can see that the keys have wierd mappings eg
key 1 = &, key 2 = é, key 3 = ", key 4 = '. key 5 = (, key 6 = - , etc...

If I edit the apps.cfg file and change for example

[APP]*
[ACTIVATE]
[TYPE]
[REMOTE]mediacenter
[COMMANDS]
1 [KEY]1
to
1 [KEY]a

And restart IRTransTray then I correctly get an 'a' when I hit one - but any mappings with digits (eg [KEY]2 etc) still give wierd results (always the same strange characters).

Something else strange: sometimes after playing about with the saving apps.cfg and restarting IRTransTray suddenly the digit mappings start working correctly! eg pushing 1 gives a '1' etc... However on rebooting the machine the old problem returns.

The machine has a sat tv card so there are a lot of channels - I really need the digits on the remote working correctly so I can switch directly by channel number. Any help on this would be very much appreciated.
Ricibob

Re: Remote Number keys not working in Vista MediaCenter

Postby Ricibob » Tue 2. Dec 2008, 21:31

OK so I found the solution (kind of obvious when you know.... :oops: )
In fact the Vista and keyboard I have are set up for French. On a french keyboard you have to shift to get the number eg hitting '1' with out shift gives '&' - hence the "wierd" characters.
That also explains why sometimes after editing the file it mysterously worked but "failed" again after reboot - Id simply left the shift lock on.
Solution is to modify apps.cfg file so that lines like
1 [KEY]1
becomes
1 [KEY]\SHIFT1
et voila...
Well I hope this post helps someone else who has the same issue..
Ricibob

Re: Remote Number keys not working in Vista MediaCenter

Postby IRTrans » Wed 3. Dec 2008, 12:31

Hi,
thanks for the Info - we did not know that ...

I will copy this thread to the FAQs.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to FAQs