Problem transmitting learned codes

Everything related to learning and capturing of IR Codes

Moderator: marcus

Problem transmitting learned codes

Postby rah99 » Tue 29. Apr 2008, 08:35

I've just taken delivery of an IRTrans USB and have been having a problem with it.

It seems to learn the codes correctly, Girder recognises all the codes for my SkyHD PVR, however the SkyHD box doesn't respond to the codes when transmitting either from Girder or from the IRTrans client software.

I've verified that both internal and external (the 4 high power LED version) emitters are sending something with a digital camera, but no response from the Sky box. I've also tried the same with my Sharp LCD TV and nothing from that either.

Is this likely to be a distance problem? The emitters were about 8 feet away.

How do I go about troubleshooting this?

Thanks

Rob
rah99

Re: Problem transmitting learned codes

Postby IRTrans » Tue 29. Apr 2008, 10:29

Hi Rob,
in general that should be no distance problem. However you should note that the external transmitters
only have a range of 0,5m (1-2 feet). The internal transmitters do have a much longer range (up to 15m).

What does the status LED of the device show when you are trying to send the codes ?

There are some Sky Digital receivers around that use very special IR Codes. We do ship a remote definition file for Sky Digital
receivers with the IRTrans system that might work with your receiver. It has got the name "sky-sigital". Please try if that works.
The best tool to test IR Sending is the "Send" Dialog of the IRTrans GUI Client. It allows you to control all parameters.

Furthermore it is important that there is no IR noise in the room while you are learning the codes. Therefore you should
switch off any Plasma TVs or Fluroescent light bulbs (e.g. enery saving lamps) while learning IR Codes.

If all that does not work please attach the .rem files you have learned to your post.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby rah99 » Tue 29. Apr 2008, 11:44

IRTrans wrote:Hi Rob,
in general that should be no distance problem. However you should note that the external transmitters
only have a range of 0,5m (1-2 feet). The internal transmitters do have a much longer range (up to 15m).

Ah, I thought the external transmitter with the 4 LEDs was a higher power one.

What does the status LED of the device show when you are trying to send the codes ?

It blinks red once

There are some Sky Digital receivers around that use very special IR Codes. We do ship a remote definition file for Sky Digital
receivers with the IRTrans system that might work with your receiver. It has got the name "sky-sigital". Please try if that works.

No luck with that I'm afraid

The best tool to test IR Sending is the "Send" Dialog of the IRTrans GUI Client. It allows you to control all parameters.

That's the one I've been using.

Furthermore it is important that there is no IR noise in the room while you are learning the codes. Therefore you should
switch off any Plasma TVs or Fluroescent light bulbs (e.g. enery saving lamps) while learning IR Codes.

No plasma TV or fluorescent lights here (LCD TV, but I believe that was turned off at the time) oh and it was daytime so there would have been sunlight
If all that does not work please attach the .rem files you have learned to your post.

Sure thing, here it is.
Attachments
sky hd.rem
Sky HD learned codes
(1.74 KiB) Downloaded 2927 times
rah99

Postby rah99 » Tue 29. Apr 2008, 11:51

I've only just noticed the supplied red jumper and the piece of paper describing its use - could I have done any damage if I haven't used that jumper?
rah99

Postby IRTrans » Tue 29. Apr 2008, 12:07

Hi,
now we are seeing things clearer ...

- I did not read your first post correctly - if you are using High power transmitters the range is, of course, greater.
- If you did not use the supplied jumper that might decrease the range but it will not damage anything.
- The supplied code file looks fine and clean - therefore it should work. However, perhaps that is a modified RC6 that is used by Sky sometimes.
I will add a new post with a modified .rem file shortly.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby IRTrans » Tue 29. Apr 2008, 12:44

Please try the attached sky-hd-1.rem file.

You will need to relearn the "guide" button - there was some IR noise in that code.

IRTrans
Attachments
sky-hd-1.rem
(1.67 KiB) Downloaded 2554 times
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby rah99 » Tue 29. Apr 2008, 12:48

With the jumper in place, the high power transmitter seems to work fine, but the internal transmitter still doesn't seem to
rah99

Postby IRTrans » Tue 29. Apr 2008, 13:14

Hmm, that is strange - the internal transmitters should be no problem at all.

How did you select them ?

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby martingu1979 » Wed 3. Sep 2008, 09:07

Hi!

I have a similar problem. I am trying to use the RS232 device to control my IPTV SetTopBox from ADB. It's a 3800 TW.

I can learn codes without any problems but by far not all the commands sent to the box are recognized. If I hold the button in the IRTrans Client and the command is repeated rapidly, the box starts to react.
sometimes, also single commands are recognized, but it's only a very small percentage.

I have also tried to "isolate" the sender and receiver from the surrounding by putting them inside a cardboard box together, but also no improvement. it also does not seem to make any difference if the sender is 30cm or 1m away from the box

for comparison, the rs232 device works flawlessly with the tv without any need to really aim.

attached you'll find the remote codes.

any help is greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
Attachments
adb.rem
(561 Bytes) Downloaded 2462 times
martingu1979

Postby IRTrans » Wed 3. Sep 2008, 13:37

Hi,
please try the attached modified file.

Please remember to restart the IRTrans SW after exchanging the file.

IRTrans
Attachments
adb.rem
(562 Bytes) Downloaded 2449 times
IRTrans
Administrator

Next

Return to Learning of IR Codes