Sending commands directly without DB

Ethernet specific questions and answers - IRTrans LAN, LAN Controller devices

Moderator: marcus

Sending commands directly without DB

Postby Waylan » Tue 16. Oct 2012, 11:30

Hi,
while working on android remote control software, i purchased a Irtrans Ethernet (without DB) last week, as Ethernet/IR Gateway for my android app (very basic by now). Installation and configuration was done, then i started to learn IR commands from different remotes into the IRServer's REM files.

Figuring out how to get the irtrans send out codes via ethernet, i tested the UDP interface (21000) and also the TCP interface (21000) both with the following result: the only working method is the Send- CCF command (sndccf resp. Asndccf). Sndhex and Asndhex result in "ERROR: Not supported without IR Database" (what i have to accept so far). Then i packet-sniff'd the communication between IRServer and the IRTrans while sending some IR codes, and tried to replace the last part of the udp packet with data from the REM File, resulting in the irtrans sending nothing on ir, Error Messages etc. i try to check in the evening.

So i am stuck with CCF Codes by now. I found a CCF Code File for a Sony CD Player i have here, extracted some ccf codes with CCFExtractor, and they work with "sndccf"/UDP , also with "Asndccf"/TCP, nice. Now i am loking for a way to convert *learned* ir codes from the IRserver DB to CCF and this is where i am stuck for now, as an example i have a rather old Grundig Amplifier here, for which i cannot find a ready-made ccf file.

Somebody knows of a way to extract CCF Codes from IRServer's learned remote controls ?
Does somebody know why the irtrans ethernet without DB does not support sndhex / Asndhex Commands ? They should not be far more complex for the irtrans to compute then the sndccf commands i think.

Thanks in advance,
wolfgang
Waylan

Re: Sending commands directly without DB

Postby IRTrans » Tue 16. Oct 2012, 13:47

Hi,
the standard Ethernet devices only work together with the irserver SW.

All the high level APIs are only supported on devices with the IRDB.

Converting of IRTrans codes into CCF codes is not supported because the CCF format does not support all features the IRTrans format supports.

You might port the irserver onto your Android platform.

Furthermore it is possible to upgrade the standard device to an IRDB version.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby Waylan » Tue 16. Oct 2012, 19:18

Hello Irtrans, thanks for your reply.

You write, the standard devices without db only work together with irserver, what i cannot understand fully. I actually can use the sndccf/Asndccf function without the Irserver, what is limiting my possibilities (i know now that ccf cannot describe as complex infrared commands as your own protocols can) but is indeed working.

The irserver is able to send the full range of commands to the irtrans, so why should my application not also be able to do ? I think this is what you mean about implementing irserver for android. I will have a look at this, but this approach does not fit very well to my applications idea, where ir-communication is just "one- of- many". Not having to program the ir codes into the irtrans-device (when using one of them with db) on the other side could be a positive result.

- I think, besides trying to find out about the communication protocol of irserver->irtrans (and implementing on android), another option is the DB- upgrade of the Irtrans Ethernet Box. Can you write a little bit more about this option ?
- Can you point me, except reading the actual source code files, in the right direction to better understand the comunications protocol between irserver and irtrans- devices ? Or is the protocol / data format "closed knowledge" ?

Tanks,
Wolfgang
Waylan

Postby IRTrans » Tue 16. Oct 2012, 21:04

Hi,
the binary communication between the device and the irserver is very complex and not documented. As it changes frequently we will not document it. Furthermore it would be much too complex to support it. Therefore we have added the ASCII interfaces to the devices.

If you want to use it we would suggest to port the complete irserver to your platform.

If you want to upgrade your device to the IRDB version you will only need to pay the price difference between both versions. The upgrade can be done as a firmware update.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby Waylan » Tue 23. Oct 2012, 19:37

Hi irtrans,

thank you for the support. I sniffed around a little bit more on the conversation between irserver and the irtrans-ethernet, indeed this seems to be too complex for my application, not design goal yet, maybe later.
I will contact your sales regarding the upgrade to irtrans-ethernet-with-db.

Thanks,

wolfgang
Waylan

Return to Ethernet