IRtrans as a service

Software related support

Moderator: marcus

IRtrans as a service

Postby coughinglizard » Mon 21. Jul 2008, 05:42

I've looked all over and I cant seem to find anything about setting up IRtrans to run as a service. I'm using FireDameon. I get it to install as a service but it wont work, the only function I get to work is sleep and unsleep. I dont use the desktop, it logons directly to ehshell in vista media center. I tried a few different options of installing. What I need to know is...whats required to run for IRtrans to work. I'm running IRServer and irtranstray as a service but nothing from the remote works. Am I missing a dependency?
coughinglizard

Re: IRtrans as a service

Postby coughinglizard » Wed 23. Jul 2008, 04:37

Dude...I am so totally disappointed that the maker of this program cant tell me what needs to run in order for IR trans to work as a service. As well as dependicies from Vista.
coughinglizard

Postby IRTrans » Wed 23. Jul 2008, 11:07

Hi,
running as a service is generally not supported, however I know that some people are doing that.

The only important thing is that you have to be in the correct folder (IRTrans Programm folder), otherwise the SW will not find the remotes folder.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby coughinglizard » Sun 3. Aug 2008, 21:44

Are you able to give anymore insight. I've been trying to get this working using FIREDAEMON and no matter how I set it up I cant get it to work as a service. So in a different direction, is there a way to get it to start as a process with out using the "startup" folder. Since I dont load my desktop it doesnt use the startup folder. I've noticed other programs that start up with out using desktop, only VMC shell. Ones like MyMovies, WHS, etc... Thank you.
coughinglizard

Postby IRTrans » Mon 4. Aug 2008, 00:20

The startup folder (or current directory) for the service has nothing to do with the desktop.

If your service tool does not allow to set it you might need to use a script or command file.

As I already wrote it is currently not supported from our side to have the irserver running as a service, therefore you are on your own with that.

We are working on an integrated irserver service that will run without any 3rd party tools.
Once we have that ready for download we will post a short notice here in the board.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby coughinglizard » Thu 2. Oct 2008, 04:25

Thank you so much for adding that into the new update. You don't even know how much I appreciate that. Makes my setup so much easier to maintain without having to load my desktop to use the remote software.

Brian
coughinglizard

Postby RandyVanF » Sat 11. Oct 2008, 01:01

I cannot get IRTans to work as a service in Vista Ultimate x64. The error in the windows eventlog states that Interactive (interact with the desktop) services are no longer allowed. If you turn off interact with the desktop, you get no errors in the system event log when starting the service. However, "irtranstray usb" errors out stating that it cannot communicate with the server component. Also the remote no longer works.

System Error log entry
-----------------------------
Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 10/10/2008 8:37:34 PM
Event ID: 7030
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: MYCOMPUTER
Description:
The IRTrans Service x64 service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly.
-----------------------------------

If I stop the service and then launch irtranstray USB it starts the server and all is well. :cry:

Any help?

Randy
RandyVanF

Postby IRTrans » Sat 11. Oct 2008, 13:12

Hi,
it looks like this is a restriction with Vista x64.

Using it without the interactive flag should work - however that might mean that the remote does not work as it uses the interactive desktop.

Please note that you cannot run irtranstray when running the irtrans server as a service - the service replaces irtranstray.exe alltogether !

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby RandyVanF » Sat 11. Oct 2008, 19:02

Hi,

Yes, I tried running it with the "Allow service to interact with desktop" disabled (unchecked) and it will not recognize the remote. If the service replaces IRTRANSTRAY altogether, wouldn't that mean it should work with the remote; true?

What I would really like to do is get it to run correctly as a service so that I can use my Pronto TSU9600 to log into Vista Ultimate. I really hate having to use a Bluetooth keyboard to get into my home theater PC and then an infrared remote after login to control it.

Are you working on a complete service to fulfill all of these issues. If so, I will help you test it. I am a windows system engineer. I work mainly with server side systems, and have not been doing alot with Vista. Howver, I am digging into it.

In the short term, I will likely have to add another infrared reciever and then after login stop that service and run IRTranstray USB. :cry:

Randy
RandyVanF

Postby IRTrans » Sat 11. Oct 2008, 19:34

Hi,
the problem is quite simple: Remote and keyboard input is only possible if the service can interact with the desktop.

If that is not possible with Vista x64 we cannot do anything to fix that.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Next

Return to Software