Error sending commands

Software related support

Moderator: marcus

Error sending commands

Postby mhogan » Mon 26. May 2008, 06:45

I am using 4 POE ITRANS on a network. I have a .net 3.5 c# app that initiates the units and gets their remotes and commands list. I use NETWORKSTATUS stat = irt[itnum].IRSend(irBufCol[ir].Remote, irBufCol[ir].Command);to send commands to the units. This seems to work well. However, after the program has been running for a while one of the units no longer accpepts commands. The instance seems to be hung. And then all the untils quit responding.

I have switched the units and network cables. It always seems to happen with on a peticular unit with a certain remotes/command list. (I ran a new cable and reflashed a different unit). Same results.

- After the issue occurs, I can access all the units web pages
- Restarting the app gets the unit back
- The issue seems to present itself after the screen saver kicks in. (the other units work until i try to send to the suspect until, then they all stop accepting commands)
mhogan

Re: Error sending commands

Postby mhogan » Mon 26. May 2008, 06:47

Code sample for prev post
Attachments
ircodesample.zip
(1.78 KiB) Downloaded 2649 times
mhogan

Postby IRTrans » Mon 26. May 2008, 14:29

Hi,
maybe after some time of inactivity the OS closes idle TCP connections.

It should help to simply close and reopen the IRTrans connection from within your application
as the IRTrans itself seems to be OK.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby mhogan » Wed 28. May 2008, 21:30

The issue with the OS closing the TCP connection is quite possible. However if this was the case wouln't all the units have the same symptom.

it seems that I can communicate to the other units with out any issues (they are always there no matter how long the system sits idle). Its just when I communicate to the unit that is in the one room. I can swap cables and hardware, but the same thing happens. the only thing that is same is the room and the DB config.

As an experiment I setup the app to do a irt[i].getremotes every 5 minutes. This seems to prevent the unit from going away. However under heavy TCP traffic the error can still occur.

This is very strange .. is it possible that the peticular DB config puts the unit in a state that makes it more sensative to TCP traffic ?
I have attached the rem files for review

P.S. In your previous suggestion of closing and opening the instance. My expirince with Opening the instance takes several seconds which would not work well if you instruct the app to send a command and then had to wait several seconds. Is there an instant way to colse and open the instance ?

Any suggestions would be helpfull

Thanks
Attachments
remfiles.zip
Rem Files
(2.24 KiB) Downloaded 2560 times
mhogan

Postby IRTrans » Thu 29. May 2008, 21:20

Hi,
might there be a source of strong IR noise in that room (e.g. a Plasma TV) ? - That might irritate the IRTrans.
To test that simply switch of IR receiving in that room using the GUI client.

Furthermore there might be a problem with the LAN cable going into that room. Did you try to use a different LAN Cable ?

Closing and opening an instance should not take longer than a few milliseconds. Did you try to find out what exactly takes so long ?

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby mhogan » Thu 29. May 2008, 23:37

The IR noice is possible since the problem only happens in this room.. No plasma TV. (sony 54 inch rear projection, Amp, DVD, Bell Expressview Sat recv)

I've tried a new Lan cable. same resullts.

What meathod do you use to open and close? (maybe its the process of getting the remotes database that is taking so long).

I have created a process that does a reloadremotes evry 5 mins. If there is an error (lost com) then it does a reinit of the device. This is getting me by the issue . But I would shure like to find out the cause. I will try a few more things and get back to you.

Thanks.
mhogan

Postby IRTrans » Fri 30. May 2008, 10:58

Hi,
are you communicating with the devices directly or via the irserver SW ?

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby mhogan » Sun 1. Jun 2008, 05:29

Direct. IRserver is not running...
mhogan

Postby IRTrans » Sun 1. Jun 2008, 11:26

Hmm, with direct connection there should be no delay here.

Maybe it is an nameserver issue that is takes quite long. Are you using a name or an IP address ?

Which version of the .NET DLL are you using ?

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby mhogan » Thu 10. Jul 2008, 06:12

I'm using IP address with DLL 3.0.1.0.

The connect to the device is quick. Its the downloading of the remotes commands and populating my local arrays that takes about 10 secons for 4 IRTrans devices.

I can't be certain but the until seems to loose connectection when I'm changing channels alot (just using the BELL Expressview remote to the SAT reciever) TV is a Sony 57 inch rear projection
mhogan

Next

Return to Software