How to send IR codes to USB IRTRans directly

Software related support

Moderator: marcus

How to send IR codes to USB IRTRans directly

Postby daferrisda » Sat 21. Jan 2012, 08:19

Hi,

I'm developing a home automation software package. I'm hoping to support the IRTrans module, so far I've figured out how to receive IR codes but as I thought it's not as easy as just sending them back to be transmitted.

Can someone help on the command format? To clarify I'm connected directly to the hardware with no software installed other than the IRTrans USB drivers.

Many Thanks
David
daferrisda

Re: How to send IR codes to USB IRTRans directly

Postby IRTrans » Sat 21. Jan 2012, 13:52

Hi,
that is not supported with the USB Devices. The reason is that they use a complex binary format. Furthermore that format might change and is not documented.

In which environment (Programming language ...) are you working?

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby daferrisda » Sat 21. Jan 2012, 13:58

That's a real shame as it would have been a great solution. I'm using RealStudio on a Mac but the application will be compiled for Windows, Linux and Mac.

Is there a solution available where it works in all platforms, preferably without the use of any 3rd party software?

Thanks
David
daferrisda

Postby IRTrans » Sat 21. Jan 2012, 15:02

You can use Network based IRTrans Devices (LAN or WLAN). They do have a very simple ASCII API for direct control.

For a Home Automation system they the better choice anyways as the USB Devcice has always to be close by the PC.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby daferrisda » Sat 21. Jan 2012, 17:01

I'm just thinking of price, the LAN version is £50 more than theUSB version. I'm a little confused you say it's not possible to send commands to the USB IRTrans, I think I may have confused things a little.

I know it's not possible to send ASCII codes to the USB version, but I was looking at the protocols used, I assume there sent as Hex or Binarary ?
daferrisda

Postby IRTrans » Sun 22. Jan 2012, 12:30

We do not have any specification of the binary protocol used to talk to the USB Device. Those devices are only supported through the irserver. When you use the irserver you can then use one of our APIs.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to Software