IRTrans Ethernet Poe --> Xantech 791-44

Here is the place for all Hardware and Firmware related questions

Moderator: marcus

IRTrans Ethernet Poe --> Xantech 791-44

Postby heinz » Tue 21. Apr 2009, 20:04

Still striving for that perfect setup.

I'm currently using the IRTrans with an HTK, fed via Eathernet/IRed.
I'm only using this IRTrans to send IR. I have the IRTrans hidden away so as to avoid stray receiving.

I can't get a good enough location for the HTK so that all my devices are 'covered' reliably. On top of that my wife has occasional problems getting the normal remote to work, claiming it's my feet that are always in the way when I use the recliner :)

To solve that problem I decided to add a Xantech receiver (490W-00) plugged into a Xantech 791-44 Amplified Connecting Block. Hopefully that will solve the wife problem as I'll move the receiver until happy. Each device will get it's own emitter.

Now for getting the signal from the IRTrans to the Xantech.
The Xantech has a 3.5mm IR RCVR port. Can I replace the HTK and simply plug a 3.5mm connection between IRTrans out and Xantech IN?

Failing that I assume another IR Receiver is needed and then just point the IRTrans at it in some dedicated place?

Or is there an alternative? I don't mind a bit of careful soldering and I don't have a problem with making the IRTrans a transmit only as that's it's dedicated job.

Help me keep wifey happy or she might not let me buy anymore toys :)

TIA - Heinz
heinz

Re: IRTrans Ethernet Poe --> Xantech 791-44

Postby IRTrans » Tue 21. Apr 2009, 20:36

Hi,
we have heard of customers that have connected a Xantech system directly to the IRTrans.

As we have not tested that ourselfs we canoot guarantee that it works in every environment.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby heinz » Tue 21. Apr 2009, 22:16

Any harm in trying a cable from the external port IRTrans, where the HTK is currently plugged in, to the RECV on the Xantech.

I.e. anything to short out? Amount of risk: low, medium, high?

Not trying to get anything TO the IRTrans, just the IR Out.

I accept the no guarantees, just a risk factor assessment if possible :)
heinz

Postby IRTrans » Wed 22. Apr 2009, 09:09

Well, difficult to say for sure. I would assume the risk that something gets damaged is low.

Before you connect the Xantech system you shoud remove the jumper for the HPK transmitter inside the IRTrans.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby joshhall6 » Thu 25. Feb 2010, 04:07

The irTrans and Xantech work at different voltages. The best way is to use a GC-CGX converter to convert from the IrTrans to Xantech. They also make a convert to go the other way. I use my irTrans and two GC-CGX to connect to two 791-44 Xantech connecting blocks. This gives me ten outputs in two different rooms, with different outputs. If you try to connect it directly let me know how it works out.
joshhall6

Postby Quixote » Wed 31. Mar 2010, 06:26

joshhall6 wrote:The irTrans and Xantech work at different voltages. The best way is to use a GC-CGX converter to convert from the IrTrans to Xantech. They also make a convert to go the other way. I use my irTrans and two GC-CGX to connect to two 791-44 Xantech connecting blocks. This gives me ten outputs in two different rooms, with different outputs. If you try to connect it directly let me know how it works out.

That could get rather pricey with an IRTrans XL, couldn't it? If you need to spend 50 USD per output for 8 outputs, you are looking at about an additional 50% of the cost of the IRTrans or thereabouts, not to mention the cost of the connecting blocks. Are you also saying that we would need to spend even more to receive as well as transmit? That's just ridiculous and not a cost effective way of doing it at all in that case.
I guess the best thing to do is stick to the fewest number of zones possible.

This is rather disappointing since I already bought a couple of Xantech connecting blocks and an IR receiver to go with them. After a bit of reading here tonight I was under the impression that the connecting blocks could be connected directly to transmit the signals FROM the IRTrans with no added hardware, just not TO the IRTrans.

Please correct me if I am wrong and/or clarify. Thanks Josh and anyone else that can help.
Quixote

Postby IRTrans » Wed 31. Mar 2010, 16:39

The problem for us is that we never tested this as we have no Xantech System at our hands here.

Please note that the outputs of the XL and the other IRTrans devices are slightly different - The XL uses Active High outputs (+5V switched) while the other devices use active Low outputs (GND switched).

Connecting an XL directly should be no big risk as the XL has got a 100 Ohms resistor for the LEDs on each output.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby Quixote » Wed 31. Mar 2010, 18:11

Thanks for the response.
Have you ever considered buying a couple of Xantech devices for testing since they are not very expensive? You would help out a lot of your customers by doing so, I'm sure. It seems like a very good idea to me. Xantech is a very big name in IR distribution. Another would be Buffalo Electronics, but I'm sure you guys are aware of the top players in the industry already.

I actually have Buffalo Electronics connecting blocks and an IR eye, not Xantech. I went back and checked to make sure that I had mentioned the right company, and it turns out that I was mistaken.

Thanks again.
Quixote

Postby IRTrans » Wed 31. Mar 2010, 19:42

Maybe we will do that in the future, however if we do that we will concentrate on Xantech.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby Quixote » Wed 31. Mar 2010, 22:25

They are probably all extremely similar.
Quixote

Next

Return to Hardware