IRtrans delay?

Here is the place for all Hardware and Firmware related questions

Moderator: marcus

IRtrans delay?

Postby DJF3 » Mon 26. Sep 2011, 07:45

I'm using IRTrans in combination with homeseer, but see a delay for the signals passed on to the IR receiving devices (where Homeseer is not involved)

Is this correct?: When I take a random remote of a device that is connected to IR-Trans and press a button the following IR flow applies:

REMOTE-----(IR)------IRT_Receive-eye------IR_Trans------IRT_Transmit-eye-----(IR)------Device

Q: In this situation the IR-Trans server software and Homeseer will see the signal but have no influence on whether it's being passed on to all IRT_transmitter eyes. So ANY signal received by the IR-Trans device will ALWAYS be send out to the IR_transmit-eyes, regardless of what the IRT SW or Homeseer want to do next.

Agree or not?

If the IRT device passes on every IR signal without 'asking' the SW that should have a super-low delay, right? But it looks like it adds a delay. I was hoping that this could be minimized by fine-tuning the IRT device..

Cheers
DJ
DJF3

Re: IRtrans delay?

Postby IRTrans » Mon 26. Sep 2011, 12:57

Hi,
in general there is no delay involved when relaying IR codes.

BUT: The IR Code itself has got a certain length. As the IRTrans is not receiving and sending at the the same time it needs to receive the IR Code before it can be sent again. That means there will always be a delay that has got the length of the IR code itself (100-500ms).

You can lower the delay by changing the IR Timeout in the device settings. That is the time the IRTrans waits to see if the IR Code is "over".
Depending on your remote control you can try different values here. The default is 90ms. The value can be set using the IRTrans GUI Client or the Web interface for LAN / WLAN Devices.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby DJF3 » Mon 26. Sep 2011, 14:21

Great explanation! Just noticed that my timer was set to 45ms.. Will play with this setting and see if it makes a difference.

DJ
DJF3

Postby DJF3 » Mon 26. Sep 2011, 20:29

I have now set:
- IR Receive Timeout: 30 ms
- IR Receive Tolerance: 64 us
And it seems to respond better than before.. Going below 20ms with the Receive Timeout did not seem to work very well.
DJF3

Postby IRTrans » Mon 26. Sep 2011, 21:14

Lowering the IR Timeout out will give you better response times. However, if the timeout is set to a value shorter than the shortes pause in the IR signal receiving will no longer work correctly.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to Hardware